It’s that time of year when the count downs of the year begin. So I think this year I will jump on the bandwagon and share my favorite Ingredients of 2011. How I went about choosing these items are two-fold.
First: I perused my recipes and thought of the new items that I became extremely fond of and will continue to use as long as the companies still make them or the ground still grows them!
Second: I though of all of the ingredients that are a MUST in my home and that are replaced continually throughout the year.
So enjoy my favorites of 2011…I would love for you to share yours with me.
1. Brussel Sprouts: Growing up you could not have paid me to eat these mini-smelly cabbages. But know they are my favorite thing with eggs, steak and Thanksgiving side. If you have not jumped on the bandwagon yet, hop on and go them a go.
2. Pea Shoots: These fun whimsical veggies are a great replacement for alpha sprouts and a great filler for a salad or side dish. Best of all they now have them washed and bagged at Trader Joe’s. Indulge and buy a bag and mix it in with everything.
3. Mint Chutney: This Indian condiment has been around forever, but I just recently tried it at an Indian restaurant….now I use it on everything. I found a great jar of it at the local grocery store in the Indian food section. I put this on chicken, veggies and eggs. Look soon for a post on making it from scratch.
5. Dorat Frozen Garlic Cubes: As you have read in my posts I love these little ice-cube trays of herbs. Hardly do I even buy the real thing anymore. Pull them out of the freezer and pop one in your recipe….
7. Ginger Root: One of my all time favorites. Buy a decent size knuckle of this spicy treat and throw it in the freezer. Any time you need to use ginger, just pull it out and grate it into your recipe. I little goes a long way.
What are some ingredients you can’t live without?